Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Just a Bunch of Screamin'!

this is a thing i had to do in language arts and i have no idea why but i felt like posting it.

My hands shook with anticipation. A bead of nervous sweat trickled down the side of my face. I really didn’t want to do this, but I had no choice. Both my parents wanted to ride the California Screamin’, and I didn’t want to get left out. My first upside-down roller coaster and I was flipping out before we even made it half way through the line. I thought about crying, but that would have just put me in the hotel for the rest of the day, instead of enjoying Disneyland.
“If you don’t like this ride,” my dad said, leaning against the bars that border the line for the ride. “I’ll eat my hat.”
“But Dad,” I said with a laugh. “You don’t have a hat!”
“Then I’ll buy one,” he said, trying to look serious.
Like I was going to enjoy worrying about falling out of my seat on a blazing fast roller as it goes upside-down. I could very well drop to my death! Like he cared, though. He just wanted to ride the stupid ride.
The line moved and it carried us up the stairs, only taking me closer and closer to certain death. I still couldn’t believe I was doing this. My friend, Nick, told me he went it seven times when his family went to Disneyland three months ago. I didn’t know how he could stand it, though. I mean, he was a whole year younger than I was! He is a boy, though, and claimed not to be afraid of anything.
“Is it too late to get out of the line?” I asked, looking down the stairs ahead of us, which we were now moving closer to.
My mom laughed.
“You are nine and a half years old now,” my dad said, looking down at me. “You shouldn’t let a little old roller coaster scare you.”
Oh, what did he know? He had been on this ride before so of course he wasn’t scared.
The line started to move again, and I began my descend down the second set of stairs, leading me surely to my doom. I walked slowly, postponing my death as long as I could. Was this some sort of punishment?
At the bottom of the concrete steps stood a lady in a dark orange jacket with green suede sleeves and a silver pin that read “Debbie”.
“How many?” Debbie asked, looking at me. I couldn’t speak, I was too scared. I tried opening my mouth but it had gone dry causing my tongue to stick to the roof of my mouth.
My dad held up three fingers.
“Rows one and two, please!” Debbie said in a loud voice, pointing to a group of people to the left of us.
We followed the white numbers on the ground until they lead us to two rows, separated by metal green bars. A white metal gate that came up to my chest blocked me from stepping off of the concrete ledge onto the steel tracks that the coaster followed. I looked to the right of me waiting to see the coaster come in, but to my surprise, it came in from the other side. I gazed down the expanse of people, noticing the eager faces of the men, women, and children waiting in their rows. The coaster reeled its head around the corner of the building and taunted me as it came closer to us. Then it hit me. I was in front. Not only was I going to die, I was going to die first. The coaster stopped in front of me and the metal gate glided away opening the path to my death car.
I couldn’t move I was so struck with fear. This was it.
“Hey!” someone behind me shouted. “Move it!”
The first step is always the hardest, right? I stepped over the first seat and planted myself on the left. I looked up to see a green harness with vertical handlebars and pulled it over the front of my body. Click! The harness snapped into place and I was stuck. No turning back for me now! My gaze darted to the seat next me where I expected to see my mom or dad, but it was empty. I couldn’t believe this! I wasn’t just going to die first but I was going to die alone! I was going to die of fear! If not fear, then I was certain the tracks would cut off somewhere or lead us right into the water or a giant rock or something that would assure death for everyone. I glanced back at my parents enjoying themselves in the two seats behind me. I didn’t say a word. I couldn’t say a word. The coaster started to glide forward under a bridge and music played from a speaker next to my ear. Then the voice of a guy that sounded like he was on steroids came on.
“Get ready screamers; head back, face forward and hold on! Take off in five…” Oh, dear. “Four…” This is it! “Three…” I held the bars on the harness by a death grip. “Two…” I glanced at all the people lined up at the edge of the pier to watch us take off, their cameras out and ready. “One!” Wind smacked my face, tiny particles of mist from the water the beginning of the track sat on were blown right into my eyes, into my mouth as I screamed for my life. We had taken off like a rocket and the people on the pier looked like blurry, mushy abstract art now. The force of gravity was pushing back on me as we went up and up until we reached the top and plummeted into a downward spiral. I never stopped screaming.
“WE’RE GONNA DIE! WE’RE GONNA DIE! WE’RE ALL GONNA DIE!” I screamed in the highest pitch possible. Then…
There it was. Off in the distance I could see where the track led down onto a loop that outlined Mickey Mouse’s head in glowing blue lights. It approached us quickly and I, still screaming like I was being attacked by wolves, squeezed my eyes shut. I could feel the pressure grow stronger and opened my eyes to the track curve up over my head, only causing me to scream louder than before. I waited and waited, expecting the fact that were upside-down to become plainly obvious, but didn’t. Suddenly, it was like a Kodak Moment. I realized this was…FUN! A smile whipped across my face, but I still kept screaming.
The total exhilaration of flying, zipping through the air like a speeding bullet. It was by far my favorite ride in all of California Adventure Amusement Park.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Καλησπέρα από Λεωνίδιο. Ωραίο το blog σας

the Band Geek said...

uhhhhhhhh sorry i don't speak......................your language..........sorry.